Los Angeles FC chose the following five players to anchor their squad for their inaugural season in 2018:
- Tyler Miller (Seattle Sounders) - GK
- Latif Blessing (Sporting Kansas City) - FWD
- Marco Urena (San Jose Earthquakes) - FWD
- Jukka Raitala (Columbus Crew SC) - DEF
- Raheem Edwards (Toronto FC) - DEF
New York City left 14 players unprotected for the expansion draft. The list contained few surprises aside from Maxime Chanot, the star center back who fell victim to injury midway through the 2017 season. It is believed that NYCFC left Chanot off the protected list because his salary — reportedly $350K per season — is more than LAFC wanted to pay for a defender this early into the offseason.
If you’re the religious type, give a big shout-out to your deity of choice before you go to bed tonight. They saved us from a ton of headaches moving forward.