It’s game day: New York City FC will play the LA Galaxy in California to open the 2022 MLS Season. The two teams last met in 2019, when NYCFC defeated the Galaxy 2-0 in Carson, CA. The two teams faced off a total of five times: NYCFC has a four-game win streak over the Galaxy that dates to August 20, 2016.
Match: NYCFC at LA Galaxy
Date and Time: Sunday, February 27, 5 pm ET
Venue: Dignity Health Park, Carson, CA
Watch: ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Listen: The game will be broadcast in both English and Spanish on NYCFC Radio
• NYCFC Defender Anton Tinnerholm is out with the Achilles injury he suffered last October, The rest of the squad is available to play.
• Will manager Ronny Deila field the 4-4-2 he usually prefers and that won the 2021 MLS Cup? Or will he take advantage of his three center-backs, and field a 5-3-2?
• Will we see the debut of the Bowie Kit? The orange and indigo lightning bolt motif is dividing fans, but has been getting a lot of love lately on the Twitter.
• The Galaxy are coming off a mediocre 2021 season in which they finished eighth in the Western Conference and missed the playoffs.
• The Galaxy made significant changes in the offseason, losing Jonathan Dos Santos to Club America and Sebastian Lletget to New England Revolution, and adding Douglas Costa on loan from Juventus and signing Mark Delgado from Toronto FC.
• Is MLS a retirement league? Douglas Costa found success at Shakhtar Donetsk, Bayern Munich, and Juventus, but the 31-year-old struggled to find quality starts while on loan to Grêmio last season. Douglas Costa has scored just five goals since 2018.
• Will Chicharito’s fine form from 2021 carry into 2022? Last season, the striker started 20 games and scored 17 goals.
Today NYCFC will line up in a...
This poll is closed
4-4-2: It ain’t broke, and it don’t need fixing
3-5-2: Let’s use our shiny new toy
4-4-2 that switches to a 3-5-2 at the half: Ronny 2.0 is all about making tactical substitutions
• The comment section below is for everybody in the Hudson River Blue community to use for the game thread. Not a member? It’s free: Sign up here.
UPDATE: The starting lineup was posted at 4:13 pm ET.