It’s CONCACAF Champions League game day: New York City FC are in Guatemala City to play Comunicaciones FC at the Estadio Doroteo Guamuch Flores for the second leg of the CCL Quarterfinals.
NYCFC won the first leg played last Tuesday at Pratt & Whitney Stadium in East Hartford, CT, by a score of 3-1. It was a quality win over a physical opponent. The away goal rule is in effect in the CCL, which means Comunicaciones could advance on a 2-0 win—or New York City could seal the tie with a goal or two.
Match: NYCFC at Comunicaciones FC in Guatemala City
Date and Time: Tuesday, March 15, 8 pm ET
Venue: Estadio Doroteo Guamuch Flores
Watch: FS2, TUDN
Listen: The game will be broadcast in both English and Spanish on NYCFC Radio
• Injury report: NYCFC Defender Anton Tinnerholm is out with the Achilles injury he suffered last October, and Tayvon Gray is out with a lower-body issue. (Those are the club’s words. Do they seem like a euphemism for something?) The rest of the squad is available.
• This will be NYCFC’s seventh game in 29 days, and the third game in a row played on short rest.
• New York is coming off Saturday’s cathartic 4-1 win over CF Montréal at Yankee Soccer Stadium. NYCFC is now 4-1-1 in all competitions this year, with 13 goals scored and three goals allowed.
• Comunicaciones are coming off a 1-0 away win over Nueva Concepción. Los Cremas are now in third place in the 12-team Liga Nacional de Guatemala, two points behind first-place Malacateco with one game in hand. Comunicaciones have won the national title 30 times.
• Two key Comunicaciones players who weren’t eligible to travel to the United States for last week’s game against NYCFC will be available tonight: Cuban international Karel Espino and attacking midfielder Lynner García are both in the game day squad.
• The game will be played at the 26,000-capacity Estadio Doroteo Guamuch Flores, which opened in 1948. Reportedly, only 9000 spectators will be allowed inside because of COVID protocols. Named for the runner who won the Boston Marathon in 1952, the arena is the national stadium of Guatemala and the home of Comunicaciones.
• Guatemala City is about 5000’ above sea level, which is close to the elevation of Denver.
Tonight NYCFC wil...
This poll is closed
Play possessive, progressive soccer and try to score lots of goals: A tiger can’t change its stripes
Score one, then go all Azzurri and play the catenaccio: Ronny Deila has three center-backs and 2022 is about evolving tactics
Tighten the screws, park the bus, play for a draw or even a one-goal loss: The point is to advance
• The comment section below is for everybody in the Hudson River Blue community to use for the match thread. Not a member? It’s free: Sign up here.
Update: The starting lineup was posted at 7:15 pm ET