This is the third time the two teams have met in the tournament, and Red Bulls dominated the previous two matches. In 2017, Red Bulls won 1-0 after some unlucky bounces prevented NYCFC from scoring. In 2018, New Jersey opened the scoring in the second minute, then crushed New York City 4-0.
The overall head-to-head matchup between the two teams also heavily favors New Jersey: No other team come close to dominating NYCFC like the Red Bulls. The two have met 21 times, and New York City have won six, drawn three, and lost 12. NYCFC have scored 22 goals to New Jersey’s 35. It ain’t even close.
Match: NYCFC play New Jersey Red Bulls in the US Open Cup
Date and Time: Wednesday, June 22, 8 pm ET
Venue: Red Bull Arena
Forecast: Light rain, cool, 65˚F/18˚C
Listen: The game will be broadcast in both English and Spanish on NYCFC Radio
• Injury report: Thiago Martins suffered an undisclosed lower-body injury in Sunday’s game against Colorado Rapids. The rest of the squad is available to play.
• Are NYCFC in it to win it? The Pigeons have a poor record in the US Open Cup: They were knocked out in the first round the first four years they competed in the tournament (those last two losses were against the Red Bulls), but the team performed well in 2019 and made it as far as the quarterfinals, where they drew Orlando City but came up short in the penalty shootout. This year, New York City could rewrite history. They already matched their best performance in their history of the tournament, notching two wins including a hard-fought 1-0 extra-time victory over New England Revolution on May 25.
• Michael Lewis at Front Row Soccer ranks all 21 Hudson River Derbies, from first to worst,
• The winner of this game will face either Nashville SC or Orlando City on July 26 or 27, while Sporting Kansas City or Union Omaha will face Sacramento Republic FC, which defeated LA Galaxy light night. The draw to determine the host will be held tomorrow, June 23.
• The Red Bulls are gonna Red Bulls and press like crazy. That’s what they do:
New York Red Bulls have been by far the most aggressive pressing side in the 2022 MLS season#RBNY have so far pressured, tackled or fouled 32%(!) of their opponent's pass receipts within two seconds pic.twitter.com/6YFFiGdVI2— StatsBomb (@StatsBomb) June 9, 2022
• Looking for detailed insight into the strengths and weaknesses of New Jersey? Read the Bielsa Report: Five things you should know about the Red Bulls.
• If you’re going to the game, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the Five Red Bull Arena hacks every NYCFC fan should know. There’s a right and a wrong way to do things in Harrison — in other words, just give in and download the app that lets you order from the concessions.
Draftkings give NYCFC the slightest of edges over New Jersey. The odds shifted in the hours leading up to the game, and now Red Bulls are slight favorites.
The comment section below is for everybody in the Hudson River Blue community to use for the game thread. Not a member? It’s free: Sign up here.
Update: The starting lineup was announced at 7:06 om ET